Sunday, July 23, 2017

PUZZLE #3: Cleanup Efforts

PDF
PUZ
Solution to last week's puzzle

Welcome back! We're on week 3, and it's time to amp up the difficulty.

[MINOR SPOILERS AFTER THIS LINE]

A little background for today's puzzle: I made it right after watching the travesty that was the Manny Pacquiao/Jeff Horn fight. Watching the figure referenced at 39A led me to the revealer phrase, and a puzzle idea was born. Righteous indignation is great fuel for crossword-writing, apparently.

This puzzle lowkey inspired me to set up this site, since I loved the grid, but it was too wonky a puzzle to go to any publication. I might have been able to tweak it to make it publishable (bonus puzzle: what 15-letter phrase could be an alternate revealer for this crossword?), but I didn't want it to lose any of its Indie™ flavor. Such is the trade-off, I guess.

Hope you enjoy!

-Paolo

P.S. Excellent Chris King puzzle today, with a backstory unlike any other


3 comments:

  1. This was phenomenal, and I could have seen this puzzle in Fireball Crosswords. Also loved the AHA confidently filling in 39A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I tried some of your later puzzles, because if I'd solved this one first, I would never have come back.

    ReplyDelete